There are four main reasons a property sells:
1. Real Estate Agent
Consider these criteria when you select an agent. Your property deserves knowledgeable, experienced attention.
- Honesty and credibility
- Knowledge based on ongoing education and experience in your property type and market
- Familiarity with changing market conditions that may affect your property
- Level of service based on listening skills, communication style, and responsiveness to your questions and concerns
- Reputation of the agent and the company
- Track record of selling similar properties to yours.
- Even though you might have a friend or family member who is a realtor, do not hire her “just to help her out” unless you feel she is fully qualified for your market and type of home.
- Pricing is critical.
- Pricing your property for the current market is critical to attracting buyers. It’s important to set a competitive price when you place your home on the market in order to sell at the best price.
- When a property is priced too high, buyers are reluctant to make an offer that can be perceived as insulting.
- My goal is the same as that of my clients – to sell the property as quickly as possible for as much as possible.
- Getting the desired appraised value can be difficult if the property is priced too high or left on the market too long, becoming “stale” inventory.
The appearance and condition of your property will attract or discourage buyers.
- Be sure your property looks fresh, uncluttered, and inviting from the curb or driveway, because that’s the point at which many buyers decide whether or not to view the property.
- The key word is immaculate.
- The barn must be neat, tidy, and clean. Any manure piles must be disposed of. The same is true with rusted-out water tanks, buckets, and other junk or “old stuff ”.
- Fences should be in A-1 shape. Pastures should be mowed and dragged to spread the manure, if necessary.
- Ideally, pastures will have good grass. If your pasture has been over-grazed, reseeding and rotating pastures may be necessary.
- The house or trim should be painted if needed; worn out carpeting replaced; painting touched up inside, especially on corners and baseboards; bathroom grout and caulking repaired; and any other general maintenance issues dealt with.
- I do not recommend offering allowances for new carpet, etc., in lieu of replacement. A fresh, clean smell and appearance are the most desirable to obtain a higher sales price and faster sale.
- Remove clutter and store personal items. Buyers want to envision it as their home with their belongings. If the home is too personal, they feel they are intruding.
- I offer a consultation with a home staging professional. You have one chance to make a first impression. Statistics show 90% of the decision to buy is made as someone approaches the entrance to the property.
4. Terms of Sale
- There are a variety of terms that will attract a larger number of buyers. If you are flexible on the closing date, for example, you can increase the desirability of your property and perhaps affect the selling price.